Advanced Search

Author Topic: Which monitor to buy  (Read 3881 times)

September 06, 2011, 12:41:25 PM
Read 3881 times

Offline Penny Moon

• Curious

Which monitor to buy
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
Hi Everyone

I don't know where to start a discussion so I'm just going to add it on here....I typed in 'questions' and this link came up. :-[

I want to get a desktop monitor....but after about a year of looking to find what I need in one I am non the wiser as it all seems to be so complicated... LCD or LED...ratios in contrast etc...I know the make does not really matter so long as it has the correct specs...but what are the correct specs for a photographer looking for an affordable monitor. What monitor would you recommend and why?

I will really appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Penny Moon 

September 07, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
Reply #1

Brentsphotowrold

Re: Which monitor to buy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
Hi Everyone

I don't know where to start a discussion so I'm just going to add it on here....I typed in 'questions' and this link came up. :-[

I want to get a desktop monitor....but after about a year of looking to find what I need in one I am non the wiser as it all seems to be so complicated... LCD or LED...ratios in contrast etc...I know the make does not really matter so long as it has the correct specs...but what are the correct specs for a photographer looking for an affordable monitor. What monitor would you recommend and why?

I will really appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Penny Moon  

From the net. Widescreen monitors are ideal for image editing as they provide plenty of space for the picture and editing tools.

The most popular (and cheapest) monitor size is 19-inch, with 20-inch and larger screens being used mainly by professional photographers and graphic designers. If your budget and desk space permits, a larger screen will provide a large viewing area with plenty of room for  toolbars and palettes when you're using editing software.
Unlike LCDs, which do not emit potentially damaging radiation, CRT monitors can emit radiation at very low frequency (VLF) and extremely low frequency (ELF). Both have been shown to have biological effects - although there is no scientific proof that they can harm people who use a computer in everyday situations

Go to increasable connection if you have an old screen you save a lot. Ask their advise I am pleased with mine canít tell you what I have I think it is the Samsung but not sure. But tell them what you want and I am sure they will give you the correct thing. Look at the displays and see if you like the colours.  
Hope this helps

From Brent Cornish
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:56:18 PM by Colyn Serfontein »

September 08, 2011, 08:54:53 AM
Reply #2

Offline Pierre Joubert

• Committed

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
Hi Penny,

This is a common question asked by photographers and the answer might seems complicated but it comes down to your budget.

Enter the world of the ISP panel that I refer to in my other post. I search the web and formulate this answer for you.

IPS stands for "In-Plane Switching". It means that the crystals in the LCD (liquid crystal display) move parallel to the plane of the screen, rather than perpendicular to it as in TN panels (the most common displays). The main advantage of this is there is very little colour and brightness shift as you change viewing angle. This allows more accurate colour calibration.

Also, most high-end IPS screens support 8 bits per colour for each pixel, i.e. true 24 bit colour, while the cheaper TN panels often only have 6 bits per colour channel. However some of the lower priced "e-IPS" screens used in the cheaper IPS monitors including the Dell U2311H and similarly priced IPS screens from NEC and others, only have 6 true bits per channel and extend this to 8 bits using "A-FRC" (advanced frame rate control).

Most monitors support sRGB space fairly well, since sRGB is a limited gamut colour space. Some IPS monitors like the Dell U2410 support a wider gamut, closer to the Adobe RGB colour space while the Dell U2311H is sRGB.

The gamut of professional CMYK printers extends beyond the sRGB gamut. Because the process is different (subtractive as opposed to additive mixing) and the primaries are different (cyan, magenta, yellow), the gamut includes some colours that are outside the sRGB gamut, while the sRGB gamut has some colours not included in the CMYK gamut. So a printer (including good home inkjet printers like the Epson R3000) can print some colours that an sRGB monitor can't display. However the CMYK printer gamut is largely contained within the Adobe 1998 RGB gamut. So a monitor that can display the full Adobe RGB gamut can also display pretty much the full range of colours printable by typical good quality CMYK printers. (The converse is not true - CMYK printers cannot print all the colours in the Adobe RGB gamut).

Also note that the gamut of image sensors also extends beyond sRGB. An sRGB monitor cannot display all the colours your camera can capture. So even an un-manipulated image might contain colours outside sRGB. Of course to see these, you would need to shoot raw and then convert into a colour space with a wider gamut, such as Adobe RGB, Pro Photo RGB or CIELAB.

So if you print using high quality printers, you might want a wide gamut monitor like the Dell U2410 so you can see the same colours when editing. sRGB is the standard for Web images so for Web work, an sRGB monitor is a better choice.

Conclusion: even for us amateur photographers a display with IPS technology will be better. But like I said in the beginning, (1) it comes down to your budget (Dell U2410 - R5,5k) and (2) because these are no ordinary panels to get hold of an IPS panel is going to be much more difficult.

We will have to investigate this even further....
"Where your focus goes, energy flows"

September 08, 2011, 09:17:35 AM
Reply #3

Offline Colyn Serfontein

• Administrator

• Skiet tot jou vinger bloei.

• Camera: Canon

• Club: Imagelink

• PSSA: 2284
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »
Jis Pierre ... en nou is ek nog meer verward :D
Capture it when you see it ... it is a mere moment in time and will never come by again.
LPSSA

September 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM
Reply #4

Offline Penny Moon

• Curious

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks Brent and Pierre

I can't afford the Del but i can afford this one:

LG 23" Wide HD LED
1920x1080
6ms
Contrast 5mil:1
15 Pin/DVI/HDMI
Brightness: 250cd/m2

Will this do the trick if I mount it at eye level....so I don't have to worry about the brightness changing according to where i view it from?
Has it got enough of all the other stuff I need?  :-[

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it

Penny

September 08, 2011, 11:23:06 PM
Reply #5

Offline Colyn Serfontein

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »
Pierre would be the guy to answer that.
Capture it when you see it ... it is a mere moment in time and will never come by again.
LPSSA

September 09, 2011, 08:47:46 AM
Reply #6

Offline Pierre Joubert

• Committed

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
Colyn, ek het nie al die antwoorde nie maar soos jy my al geleer het - GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Penny, the specifications listed makes for a very nice monitor. Enough contrast and brightness, good connectivity and it has a big desktop for all the tools. If you are interested, give Google the model number and search for a review.

But if I read between the lines and my assumption is correct, then you already are the proud owner of this monitor and your worries is termed "buyers blues". LG is a very good brand and I am sure you will be happy with the performance.

Btw, if I won the Lotto and all my creditors is paid and there is some money left - only then maybe will I afford the Dell   ;D
"Where your focus goes, energy flows"

September 09, 2011, 01:07:23 PM
Reply #7

Offline Penny Moon

• Curious

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
Thanks Pierre

No just a quote from a computer company...I asked them which monitor they would recommend for photography and this is the model they quoted on.  Wanted to make sure, as there seem to be so many options out there!!  Thanks for the tip on googling the serial number....but I would still have to ask as I'm a bit of a techno-peasant and even google can leave one confused! 

Thanks for your feedback and vote of confidence on the monitor, I really appreciate it.

Penny :)

February 13, 2012, 09:35:30 AM
Reply #8

Offline Colyn Serfontein

• Administrator

LPSSA