Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sensor cleaning  (Read 2506 times)

July 17, 2011, 05:35:03 PM
Read 2506 times

Offline Jeff Morris

• Committed

Sensor cleaning
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
I spent this morning cleaning the sensors on my two Canons.

How do you know your sensor is dirty?
Set your camera to Aperture priority and aperture set the smallest your camera can (biggest number, e.g. 32 or 28). The shutter speed is irrelevant. Go outside on a blue sky day (like it is here today), focus on something in the distance, hold down the shutter button half-way and then shoot a picture of the sky and nothing but sky. Look at that image with Breezebrowser or whatever you use to view pictures and if you see any black dots or blotches, your sensor needs cleaning.

I use a combination of things to clean with. First, Dust-aid has a sticky wand that picks up dirt. Stubborn dirt gets the Sensor swab treatment.

What do you use?

July 18, 2011, 08:17:34 AM
Reply #1

Offline Pierre Joubert

• Committed

Re: Sensor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »
This is a delicate process but easy.

I have cleaned the sensor of my Canon 350D using Sensor Swabs and Eclipse Optic Cleaner. Make sure you purchase the correct size swab for your sensor and familiarise yourself with the instruction sheet before you start.

Here is a short video to demonstrate the process.

Very important - make sure your camera's battery is fully charged before you begin!!
"Where your focus goes, energy flows"

July 18, 2011, 08:17:54 AM
Reply #2

lawrence-b

Re: Sensor cleaning
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
I am far too chicken to follow the DIY approach - I take it to my local photo dealer (@Photo in Pretoria) and let them do it! No mess, no fuss. :)